Teens are passionate and energetic about changing the world. However, with COVID-19 disrupting in-person programming and community projects, it’s nearly impossible for young changemakers to find an outlet. YouthRoots is launching a new program to bring that opportunity to their living room: YouthCharge.
YouthCharge is a 100% virtual, hands-on program that takes a group of 12 students through the philanthropic process.
What’s the same:
- Students complete the same 3 step philanthropic process as our YouthBoard Program: Needs Assessment, Raising Awareness and Funds, Grant-making.
- The program is built around YouthRoots’ core values, including the beliefs that investing in strengths and passions creates thriving individuals, that effective communication and knowing others creates thriving teams, and that giving back and informed leadership creates thriving communities.
- The program design emphasizes the power of youth, putting the decision-making in their hands.
- Students will learn from and engage with (virtual) speakers and volunteers.
- The program is 19 hour-long sessions. All sessions are completely hands-on and experiential.
- 3 joint virtual sessions will bring together various YouthCharge teams to learn philanthropy basics from experts in the field.
- 16 peer-learning sessions with electronic guides for each group to effectively tackle the work for their chosen issues.
- Students will receive additional learning resources for self growth and philanthropic leadership.
- Program counts for 40 hours of community service.
- The students take on a new level of responsibility for the outcome of their work as groups are independently-driven. The YouthRoots staff is here to support, but no adult facilitators will attend the 16 peer learning sessions.
- Groups can be formed based on issues of interest (regardless of geography).
- YouthCharge is open to college students in addition to high schoolers.
Apply to the YouthCharge Program today! Applications are due August 23.