Every year, each YouthBoard (group of 15 students from the same area) conducts their own needs assessment, allowing students to respond to emerging issues in their immediate communities. We’ve compiled 10 years of data from 38 YouthBoards in Colorado to identify trends in issues impacting children and youth.
Highlights from the report:
- Mental Health dominates as the biggest issue facing youth throughout the decade.
- Mental health is the top issue in 5 of the past 6 years (with more than 1 YouthBoard).
- “Mental health” has appeared 20 times over the years by 38 YouthBoards.
- 76% of all YouthBoards have selected a mental health-related topic.
- Education and substance abuse are the next biggest issues over the years. Education-related issues appeared 12 times over the past 10 years, and Substance Abuse appears 9 times.
- YouthBoard data shows that immigrant rights and substance abuse are emerging as the next critical issues.
Why does it matter? Research suggests that youth know the issues facing their schools and communities three years before adults. If we tap into this knowledge, we can respond to emerging issues three years faster.
Read the whole report here!